Thursday, June 17, 2010

The return of 1st Nation to the 1st Nation

It has been one week since I (Deanna) have returned home to the Tohono O'odham Reservation and so far it has been an exciting, frustrating, eye opening, confusing, and overall, a difficult first week home. In Guatemala I witnessed people living in the worst conditions ever: famine, malnutrition, disease, rats (the size of cats), all living in a dump...literally. But, in the middle of the dump I met people, mostly single mothers and their children with absolutely nothing and yet they were so happy that if all they got from this life was that they received and knew the love of Christ, they would be content and happy with that. But, I come home and the people here are so unsatisfied with how much they do have, they want more and more and more, and they don't realize all they need is Christ's love. Bottom line, to know the love of God is all we really need.
I want to explain to people here the things I have witnessed and about the kids and adults I got to love on. But, no one will ever truly understand the picture that is forever in my mind of Guatemala and that makes it hard share because I know that I won't be able to change everyone. However, God CAN and this is something I have to constantly remind myself of.

Pictures will be up soon, we are having technical difficulties.