Saturday, March 24, 2012

Leaving Guatemala

It's early Saturday morning, and the guesthouse is stirring with activity. People are packing to go home...others are studying God's Word...some are just sharing life for one last time. Three of our girls are already sitting at a gate bound for Miami. Our hearts are full.



For the first time EVER in mission trip history (well at least with One Way), there has not been ONE person on the trip to complain...not once. No complaints when God has changed our plan for the day to His plan. No arguments while we waited patiently on His timing. No huffy breaths when we were stuck in traffic or couldn't get somewhere on time. No whining about food, bugs, lodging, other participants...none. Can I just get an amen or perhaps a chorus of angels singing?



The Bible reminds us to do EVERYTHING without complaining or arguing so that we may become blameless and pure children of God. Wow...I've seen that lived out this week. And, my heart overflows with gratitude for this team. They have shown the love of God in so many ways this week. They have been the hands of feet of Christ. They have seen God's glory revealed. They have listened and learned.



While there were many lessons taken away from this week, some of the ones I remember are these: (1) God told me not to speak and I obeyed. (2) God showed me that I didn't have to be in charge to accept what He was going to do (3) God told me how to be a more loving wife and mother back home. As I listened to the ladies share the lessons God taught them, I was overwhelmed that He is kind and patient with us as we learn. He is gracious to teach us, over and over, from His Word!



While I am sad to leave this team, I know that they will be a part of our extended family now. God has done a marvelous work in our lives and has allowed us to be a tiny part of His plan here in Guatemala. All praise and honor and glory to Him alone forever and ever!