Friday, March 23, 2012

His Ways are Higher...

Just three weeks ago the Antonio family of 12 lived in a 15 x 15 room with a larger outdoor area for cooking and gathering. Twelve people...one bed...kids with disabilities...a baby... The walls were rusted tin, and the house filled with water every time the rains came.



A team came (from Alabama and Georgia) and used new tin to construct a home suitable for a family. The children had NEVER seen new tin...they kept looking at their reflections in the new wall. The father took off work to make sure he helped build his house. On about $50 a week he provides for his family. He and all of his family gave up their food so they could buy Pepsi for the crew. Their gratefulness was overwhelming and humbling.



God showed Himself faithful in their lives and drew them to Himself. The father gave His life to Christ because God drew him to Himself. Juan saw men and women living out their faith in a way that ministered to his soul. And now he is a brother in Christ.



Fast forward to this week when our group tours their home. We stand on dirt floors surrounded by dirty children, a tired momma, a weary father, two turkeys, numerous dogs and cats and a team humbled by God's provision. The father describes how he is going to concrete the floors this week so that the water will no longer flood their home. (Concrete was provided by the generosity and obedience of fellow believers). Juan is beaming as he shows us his new home (something we would consider a shack in the United States).



Move ahead two more days and I find myself riding up the mountain to Sacajvilla again...this time with Pastor Morales and one of our team members, Grace Ann. Most of the ride is quiet as we anticipate the joy we are about to experience. A box truck is following close behind us with four full sized mattresses inside. The iphone charges to make sure we can record God's work in action. The family has NO idea. We are told this bit of news on the way. My skin bristles...and my stomach starts to form butterflies.



Pastor Morales allows the box truck to turn down the dirt road first, and we slowly get out of the car. We tread carefully down the wooden steps into their home and find Juan on his knees smoothing concrete in one of the rooms. Children appear suddenly (I think I counted 9 the first time) and there is a sense of anticipation. The formal greetings occur and I can't even hear what they are saying. Grace Ann begins to video the event so we won't forget...I don't ever want to forget.



Pastor explains that I would like to share something. My mind blanks and God reminds me that He provided for them...just tell them that. I obey. God has provided some new mattresses for you...would you like to see? They all follow up the steps and down the road to the back of the truck. As I hold one daughter's hand, another daughter, Gloria comes beside me to hold my hand so tight I can hardly move. The smile on her face is HUGE...I think her cheeks are going to burst. She clings to my left side and is about to overflow with excitement. Juan stands patiently looking to see what's inside the truck. They have never seen new mattresses...EVER. The workers part the doors and my mind explodes. I have never witnessed such unadulterated joy before. Smiles and thank you's all around....Gloria tightens her grip (can a young girl break my hand?)...she looks up at me and doesn't say a word. Her face was beaming, and I think it stayed that way for the next hour.


Juan says that he is worried about how much money we spent, and he is reminded that God provided, not us. He is overcome with gratefulness. We are humbled to witness God's divine plan for the Antonio family.



The workers carry all of the mattresses into the home and stack them in the kitchen area. We all watch (yes, 30 eyes staring at them) as they assemble on the mattresses. They explain to Juan how to set up each set. We wait for them to leave so that we can all really see what a new mattress will mean to their family.



As soon as those workers hit the door, the children sheepishly sit on the bed. They are amazed. They are seeing something for the first time in their lives..a new place to sleep that doesn't involve dirt or cardboard. I am reminded of my selfishness and lack of gratitude for everything God has provided. And, God shows me PURE joy as Gloria bounces up and down on the end of the bed.



We stay with the family for a while and there is always a child close to the new mattress. I catch a couple of kids pretending to sleep and giggling as they see me watching. At one point six kids have found a spot on the bed and are the smiles are still glued to their faces.



For Americans the amount of money spent was very little...but it was the obedience of believers who gave of themselves that made a difference in the life of this family. Last night they slept...really slept. And God reminds me that He never sleeps nor does He slumber because He has a people to reconcile to Himself. I am one thankful child right now.