Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who Are You Listening To?



"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear." 2 Timothy 4:3

Today the Christian community is being overshadowed by a rapidly growing Islamic population. We see in the world today a weakening of the Christian influence among people groups across ethnic and nationalities like never before. Reports come out every day spreading the statistics about the rapid growth of Islam and its influence in communities in every corner of the globe. Christianity is slowing its once rapid progress into unreached and forgotten areas of the world. WHY?

As I reflect on what the Lord has been doing in my own life this year I see a very critical thing happening in my own faith journey. My bookshelves are lined with the latest books by this person or that whom I have determined to be a great man of God and a writer who will inspire me. I have awaited the next book in a series of books by guys out there who seem to have answers for my struggles with this journey and my issues I face along this path. I have built a list of quotes and concepts in my head of great wisdom from men who have been down the road of ministry or are walking this road with amazing stuff happening to them and their church.

Like never before in my faith journey I have seen my desire for someones words to motivate me overshadow the motivation of His Word! I have seen this year the Church communities draw in close to men of faith and listen to what they are saying and repeat their quotes on every social media outlet possible. Yet, the Word of God is far from our lips in our coffee shop conversations. We will sit for hours and debate the theological implications of this or that persons views on doctrinal thought while struggling to get out of bed and spend quality time listening to the One who breathed His life into our bodies!

Islam is growing all across the globe. However, it is not simply because of its strategy to invade every culture and community with its doctrine that is bringing this rapid growth about. As we have seen before in our faith journey, it is because of the relative silence of the Body of Christ that others' voices are being heard. Other world religions are not growing because they have stumbled onto some amazing new method to produce their message on the global scene. World religions are growing in popularity because the church is relatively quiet on the world scene.

I have found myself stumbling into this less vocal and more subdued mode of communication of the Gospel is due to one primary thing...I have begun to listen to men more than the Father! Who are you listening to? Who is the most influential person in your life right now? Whose words are you quoting when responding to life's difficult times? Whose words are coming to your mind when you are facing the difficult decisions of this journey?

Today we must return to the truth of the past! (2 Tim. 3:14-16) It is time we as the Body of Christ return to the simple truths of the Word of God and rally our lives around His Words to face the day. I know within my own journey I have relied on others words to help me face the day and I have allowed those words to take the place of the very Words of Jesus! Today I recognize I must return to the words that transform lives. I must again plant the Words of Christ deep within my bones so I will respond to the world's attack with words that carry eternal power. It is time to evaluate who it is that I am listening to and return to the place of knowledge and understanding that brings about Biblical wisdom and discernment.

Will you join me today? Will you come along on this journey back to the Word? Will you take some time to evaluate who it is that you are listening to and find your way back to His voice and His Word?

This picture was taken by Sam Torres while with us in Uganda. I am reminded of the simple truth behind the picture. Our children trust us to teach them the truth. When we pour into them they will proclaim what we have taught them with their whole life. Who we are listening to will be proclaimed by our children. Who are you listening to?