Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Holding Down the Fort






Next Monday, January 24th, our entire family will board a plane for Africa. We have no idea when we will return. Our court date is up in the air for the adoption, and there are many hurdles, setbacks and delays in the process. But, we're going. You see, our children, Zeke and Elly, are there, and they are waiting for us.

JT recently wrote the following for an upcoming newsletter that explains our hearts:

"Paul speaks in Romans 8 of our waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons! The journey to our adoptive children has typically been more about our eager wait than theirs. How is that used to show us about our own relationship with Him?
One joy that comes in adoption is the excitement of the first time for so many things. The first grape eaten, the first flight on a plane, the first night in a bed of their own, the first meal where they get full! Yet, when we look into the heart of our heavenly Father, we see that the adopted child eagerly anticipates the adoption. I am not sure how much the children we are bringing home really wanted to be adopted because they did not know it was even an option in their lives until we showed up. I believe this is the concept that I have learned that motivates me the most. I know of the possibility of adoption. Therefore, I know the joy that will come and the anticipation is overwhelming at times.
God has known throughout our entire lives what we would do in response to His offer of adoption. He has orchestrated every detail of our journey to draw us to Himself. Now, I am not sure how I would respond if I were in Zeke and Elly’s shoes right now…but I do know how hard it can be to recognize the times when love does not flow from their mouths for me. I do know the days of concern when the glimpses of the past peel through and they do not wrap their little arms around your neck and squeeze!"


In our absence, we are honored and blessed two have two new semester interns from Samford University working with us. Kelly Zimmerman and Meagan Sloan will be working in the office while we are gone. They will answer emails and try to sort through everything that needs to be done for upcoming trips.

Karen Katchuk, one of my best friends in the whole world, will be helping from Kentucky. She is my "go-to" staff member who can help mission trip participants finish their paperwork, encourage people to go on trips and just be the overall OWM spokeswoman!

Rashel Ross, another great friend, who I had the privilege to serve in a local cancer foundation, is also stepping up. She's helping to write the checks, make the deposits and keep OWM financially afloat while we are gone!

I'm so thankful for each of these ladies and their willingness to pinch hit for us while we are gone. Without them, we would not be able to do what we are doing. Thank you all for your love and support during this time!