Monday, April 21, 2014

Encouragement From The Lord

A month ago, God gave me some incredible encouragement, and I want to share this with you today. Two and a half years ago, we had a team here. We were working in Sajcavilla(correct spelling) and we were making home visits one afternoon. Kathy, my lovely wife and I were in different groups and we were making our final visits of the day. Kathy's group was in a home to see these 2 older ladies to pray with them and share the gospel with them, as they were not believers. After a time of sharing they all noticed that the ladies were not really interested in what they had to say, but that there was a man in the room as well and he was very interested in their message. His story was a hard one, as most are here in Guatemala. But he was hearing and understanding them, but also there was a need for a man to speak face to face with him and the group was all ladies. His name is Santiago. Kathy left to try to find me and I was nowhere to be found, but God's perfect plan brought my group to the house that was directly across the street from the house where they  were sharing. She came an got me and shared that his story was very similar to my story and that he really needed to hear the gospel shared from another man. So I pulled up a bucket and we sat face to face and I shared with him a little of my testimony and then I shared the gospel clearly. When I finished, he said that he was very appreciative and He would really think about this message. I did not pressure him, because I have learned that this is not my doing anyway, this is the perfect work of the Holy Spirit in his heart. I am just trying to obey and plant some seeds. Well, everyone in that group continued to pray for him and as I said in the beginning of this story, that was over 2 years ago. 
Well fast forward to a month ago, and we had a team here and we were doing home visits as normal. The team went to another home and met 6 families, all in one home. I did not go because 10+ gringos piling into a house can be a little overwhelming. Plus there were bags and backpacks in the van that I was going to look after them. But as I sat there, I more and more felt that I needed to be in this house. It was very strange, because there are many times where I sit and wait in the van during a home visit. During this time I can look into the logistics of what is coming up for the team or just do some praying while I am alone. But God put a deep desire in me to find this house. But I had no idea where they were.  I looked in the rear view mirror of the van and one of the kids was coming to buy something in the tienda(store). I waited and followed him back to the house. I approached the house and saw everyone from the team and then I saw the family and a man standing across the way from me. When he saw me, he immediately said "y ahí está!" (And that's him!) We made eye contact and to my surprise it was Santiago. He was telling the story of how a man had shared with him and he never forgot what he said to him. He said that this man told me that no one is worthy of this gift, but it is only by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone that we are saved. He had waited and had not acted on what God was telling him those 2+ years ago, and that he was a bus driver in Guatemala City, which is one of the most dangerous jobs on the earth(it's true, look it up). About a year ago, he said, he was shot while working. The bullet took off one of the tip of his finger, went  through his chest/shoulder, very close to his heart. He knew that God was speaking to him now and he had been given another chance in his life. He said that he immediately remembered that day and gave his life to Christ right then and there. The encouragement to him, that I was there in his home was profound, but the real encouragement was for me. You all know, if you regularly share the gospel, is that you are not always privy to the end result. But in this case, God allowed me to see His fruit, and He allowed me to be a part of it as well. Praise be to our God!  We all know the verses in Romans, but do we sometimes take for granted what is going on when God touches the heart of a sinner? Or to ask an even harder question; do you ever share the gospel? Are you sowing seeds for the kingdom? Matthew 28:18-20 tells us to go and make disciples. I want to encourage you to do just that! 

Greg Brown