Monday, January 6, 2014

Back to the Basics

Over the course of my faith journey I have heard many messages and teachings on the importance of the basics.  I learned early in my journey the importance of spending time alone with the Lord.  I learned about simple Bible study methods as I grew in understanding of the Word.  I gained skills in basic Bible interpretation and even in how to break down a passage to study it more thoroughly.  I have learned the basic plans of salvation and the simple model prayer.

I have had the opportunity to learn these basics from some Godly men and women along this faith journey.  God has brought some incredible people into my life through the years and I owe a great deal of my understanding of the basics to those who selflessly taught me how to walk this journey.  Many of them I feel did not realize how much they impacted my life with their words and example.  I would venture to say that that is the story of many of us today.

Many people have been a part of this journey of faith yet few really know the impact they have had on us specifically.  This year is a good time to change that!  I realize that one of the reasons that we need each other in this journey is for the encouragement.  This road can get rough at times and even sometimes seems unbearable alone!  Yet, we have been given the Body to help encourage us and strengthen us and challenge us to grow beyond today.

As 2014 kicks off, I challenge you to remember the basics you have learned from those who were faithful mentors, teachers, and shepherds for your growing soul.  Remember the simple truths that are the foundation of your faith.  Recall those primary issues that are still just as critical today for your faith as they were the first time you learned them.  Spend time with the Father every day.  Read His Word searching for the truth He has provided in His Word.  Share this journey with others as you struggle and as you find victory.  We all need each other to faithfully remain where we need to be.  Talk often of His goodness and His greatness.  Teach others the truths that you have learned.  Share the hope of the Gospel regularly.  Show the Gospel as often as possible so the Lord can meet people where they are in His kindness through your acts of love and kindness.  Celebrate often the victories won and the future victory we all will gain one day!

Think back to where you have come from.  Look forward into the glorious future He has set before us.  Act today like one of the King's kids who has been blessed beyond measure for the sake of those who need to see His glory and His goodness as He uses you to show the hope of the Gospel to a desperate world looking for hope!  Join me in 2014 and lets go back to the basics of faith and live like we expect His return to be very soon!

In His Grip,
JT