Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The God Who Pursues




This post was penned by Marina Provenzano, our semester intern from Samford University.  She accompanied us on the trip to Guatemala in March and is a pure delight!  

One of my favorite snapshots of the trip was during a home visit. Prior to entering this particular home, the ladies of the church told our group we were going to pray for a woman who had a brain stroke and was in a coma for a while. The ladies of the church have been visiting her often and praying for her. LIke many other visits, I was expecting to walk into a home and step into an environment that is in desperate need of Jesus.

However, it was just like God to far exceed my expectations of His power. As my group walked through the door, we saw the sick woman sitting up in her bed, fully aware that we had come to visit. Not only did the Lord heal her, but the reaction from the ladies was none like I have ever seen.  The ladies were smiling, clapping, crying, and singing. They immediately turned to Psalm 145, praising God for what He had done. 

At that moment, I saw the body of Christ at work and the glory of God being revealed. I saw how these women intentionally cared for those within the community by visiting them, praying for them, and sharing the Gospel. The ladies truly live out Matthew 28. Despite the weather conditions, the long walks, or the reactions they receive from the people, they are persistent with these visits. Their lives reveal who Jesus is -  God who continually pursues his people. 

As much as I thought I would help change lives in Guatemala, I am the one who came back changed.