Monday, January 7, 2013

CROSS Fit

The early morning hours before daybreak are being filled with many more people on their way to work out and get fit.  The typical new year's resolution is in full swing today as many people are getting into their new routine for the year.  This morning as I was slinging some weights and grunting in pain with some new friends at Glory To God Crossfit in Alabaster, I began to consider the whole concept.

This past year has been quite the journey for us as a family and we have seen amazing results in our obedience to the Lord with our health.  I personally have seen some numbers on the scale I have not seen since before Sheryl and I were married.  This has throughout the year caused me to think about my early days in college and ministry formation and how that is being played out in my life today.

I had some awesome opportunities early in my ministry career, if we can call it a career, to be taught by some great men of God.  I realize now that I had no idea how important some of those lectures and classes would be in the formation of a Biblical world view and solid ministry foundation.  The days I was stretched beyond belief by Dr. Edwards in Greek class or the pushing of the walls in my box by Dr. Joines.  The deep pondering that followed Dr. Bowden's philosophy class or his challenge in a discussion on world religions and how to know what I believed.  The amazing insight that came from listening to Dr. Whirley share from his years of experience on the mission field in Africa opened my eyes and heart up to a world I had never known.  Over and over the training came day after day class after class.

As if that was not enough, the Lord then allowed me many years of ministry work along side men who knew the Lord and loved people!  I also had the privilege of walking the road with some great men of God in the business world at the Chick-fil-A corporate office.  Over and over the Lord placed me around men and women who were pouring into me lessons of this faith journey that were forming a ministry outlook that is alive and active.  Again the Lord added to my formation by allowing me to attend seminary and learn from men who challenged me in every way possible with my knowledge and understanding of the Word.

All of this to bring me to this morning's workout and the light bulb in my mind!

                                            How fit am I really for the cross this year?  
This is a serious question we all should consider.  What am I doing to be fit to carry the cross?  How is my life being trained and challenged daily to improve my stamina and endurance to carry the cross at home and around the world?  Is my daily life an example for my children to follow and find the cross and His wisdom that comes in the joy of knowing His sufferings?  Can those who come behind me call me faithful?  Will there be an impact from the cross on my daily conversation, behavior and responses?

I am doing all that I can to be physically fit to carry the cross literally into the world the Father is sending me.  Am I dong all I can to be fit spiritually and in obedience to the whole truth of His Word to carry the cross?  This year I want to do all I can to carry the cross into every situation I find myself.  I want to be CROSS Fit for His glory and to make His ways known and His salvation known!  How about you?  Will you get fit this year to carry the cross with me?  Come on, let us take up our cross and carry it in such a way we can reach the world and teach the Word!