Friday, August 6, 2010

Revival In Africa!

After a few days of catching my breath, I am now beginning to fully grasp some of the things I experienced this summer. The most significant lesson I learned in Africa about the church this summer is about revival. For years now I have been asking the Father to guide me in the3 journey toward revival. I have been praying to see and be a part of a movement of revival with a freshness and passion unlike anything I have ever experienced. For the past couple of years I have been reading and searching out truths about revival experiences across the globe.

Upon arriving in Africa this summer I felt an urgency that I had not felt in my heart before. I had a team of young adults with me who were eager to share the truth of His Word with 1000+ children and then coast through a pastor's conference for a second week. The Lord had plans that we were unaware of as we made our way to southern Uganda.

After a couple of awesome days in Kampala with the Divine Farm Church and a couple of other churches we have relationship with through their pastors, we made our journey 4 1/2 hours south. Along the way we reflected upon the trauma that hit Uganda just one day earlier as terrorists attacked a large gathering of young people and tourists watching the World Cup Finals. The shock and fear of the event was felt over the entire country.

Our first week was a direct contradiction to fear and terror! Watching 300+ children and adults surrender their lives to Jesus brought an excitement to the team that most had never experienced. The stirring had begun in my heart for revival in Africa!

The following week I saw first hand the stirrings of revival. As we arrived for the first morning of the pastor's conference I was overwhelmed to find the church full of pastors and church members praying. They had been there for over 2 hours praying and singing. Throughout the next few days I would be reminded of the true foundations of revival. The church in Uganda is embracing the words found in 2 Chronicles 7:14. They are humbling themselves, and praying. They are seeking the face of God and turning from their wicked ways. Forgiveness is coming and a healing is beginning. Uganda is on the edge of revival sweeping the entire land!

I am so excited to be in relationship with so many pastors in Uganda who are seeking to follow hard after the heart of the Father. This summer He used their passion and commitment to stir in my heart the passion for revival. I have seen the beginnings of a revival movement in Africa. I have come home praying for the Lord to share that passion with the American church through our times of sharing and leading with teams on the field. God is so good to us to show us revival beginning and then stir our hearts to carry the excitement to the church in other parts of the globe.

It is time we the church seek His heart for a real fresh wind of revival and a true brokenness in our hearts. We need to turn to Him and turn from our own ways of thinking. We need to hear from Heaven!

In His Grip,
JT